Thanks to all who read my last essay and shared it with someone. It was for a writing contest that, unfortunately, I did not win. But, when one door closes, another one opens. And this door has the Liebster Blog Award written all over it! I don’t know the origin of this award—Liebster, if you’re out there, who are you?—but I’m totally grateful to my soul sister Amy Pimentel, author of the blog There Goes Gravity, for tagging me with this honor:)!
What is the Liebster Award?
The Liebster Blog Award is given to up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. The Meaning: Liebster is German and means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing and welcome.
1. If you are tagged/nominated, you have to post 11 facts about yourself.
2. Then you answer the 11 questions the tagger has given you & make 11 questions for the people you are going to tag.
3. Tag 11 more Bloggers.
4. Tell the people you tagged that you did.
5. No tagging back.
6. The person you tag must have less than 200 followers.
So, according to the rules, I must tag 11 more bloggers with this award. But first, I’m told I have to give you 11 facts about myself and answer the 11 questions that Amy wrote. So here goes.
11 Fun Facts about Me:
- I’m always cold
- I made up a dance to “I’m Every Woman,” the Whitney Houston cover of the Chaka Khan song, in the sixth grade when I tried out for my middle school’s cheerleading squad. I did make the squad and went on to have a very successful high school cheering career. I don’t remember any cheers. Seriously, not one.
- I forget names.
- I believe email is an art form and I take it very seriously.
- Budgeting gives me anxiety.
- My mom’s macaroni and cheese is my favorite thing to eat in the world.
- It is for this reason (#6) that macaroni and cheese is the benchmark by which I judge all so-called “soul food” restaurants. If a restaurant’s macaroni and cheese isn’t authentic (by authentic I mean baked, with real cheese, milk, eggs, and butter) then it is not a soul food restaurant. Plain and simple.
- I was raised in the south, a fact that is becoming more and more important to me.
- I am a proud graduate of North Carolina A&T State University and an avid supporter of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).
- I can be guarded.
- I am my most honest when I’m writing.
- Do you have regrets, or is regret for suckers? I think it’s hard not to have moments of regret. The key is to not become overwhelmed by those feelings. Feel them, process them, learn from them, and move on.
- What’s your favorite song right now, at this moment? Watercolors by Columbia Nights
- What sounds do you hear right now? Someone in the office next to me on the phone and Talib Kweli playing on Pandora.
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go? I want to make it to the African continent, although I’m not sure which country I’d choose first.
- What story have you been sitting on and too afraid to tell? Will you ever tell? If I’m too afraid to tell it, why would I write it here? You’re not slick Amy P.! I used to be afraid to talk about when I had a hard time emotionally in college. I’ve hinted at it a few times in things I’ve written, but I’ve never fully explored it. I think it’s because I don’t fully get what happened myself. Maybe I’ll try to tackle that one day.
- Have you or would you date someone ten years younger or older than you? I could see going ten years older. Ten years younger would just depress me.
- What do you love about being you? I love that I’m a goofball. People tend to think that I’m a very serious person, and I can be, but I really just love to laugh.
- Is monogamy possible, or does everyone cheat? Monogamy is possible.
- Paper or plastic? I find that paper fits more stuff, but plastic is good for the bathroom garbage can. It’s a toss-up.
- What do you want to be when you grow up? A woman who sits in sunrooms and wears beautiful caftans.
- What five movies do you love? Love Jones, You’ve Got Mail, Singing in the Rain, Brown Sugar, The September Issue
I now tag these bloggers with the Liebster Blog award (I didn’t make it to 11).
Questions to answer:
- What book has changed your life?
- What/Who inspires you?
- When is the last time you laughed really, really hard?
- Who is your favorite artist? (Define “artist” however you’d like.)
- Twitter or Facebook?
- How soon do you check your stats after making a blog post?
- What do you wish more people knew about you?
- What is your dream?
- What are you most thankful for?
- If you could compete in an Olympic sport, what would it be?
- Do you know all the words to the “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” theme song?